Stop the Executions in Indonesia
Make a phone call, save a life.
Indonesian authorities are reportedly preparing to execute 13-15 people imminently. The situation is urgent. We must pull out all the stops to demand these executions are halted.
Call the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra:
1. Dial the number
Call the Embassy on (02) 6250 8600(02) 6250 8600 and follow the prompts to select the ‘political affairs’ extension. (You may have to try a few different options before getting through to someone. Just keep calling until you do).
Ask to speak with Bapak Nadjib Kesoema (pronounced Ba-pak Nad-jib Ke-su-ma) the Indonesian Ambassador to Australia. (It’s unlikely you’ll get directly through to him. That’s okay. You can leave your message with a staff member and ask for it to be passed on).
2. Politely explain your concerns
(This is a guide. Please use your own words).
Hi, my name is XXXX.
I’ve just seen on the news that four people were executed on Nusakambangan prison Island last night. After I heard this I felt (tell them how you feel).
I want to leave a message for the Ambassador to pass onto President Widodo.
- Please immediately halt plans to carry out any more executions and to commute all death sentences to terms of imprisonment.
- Please re-establish a moratorium on all executions and work towards abolishing the death penalty altogether.
I believe capital punishment is wrong, wherever it is carried out. Nobody, including Indonesians on death row abroad, should be executed.
Can you ask the Ambassador to pass my message onto President Widodo?
(Thank them for their time).
3. Tell us how you went
This situation is moving rapidly. You can help us to stay up-to-date to ensure our strategy is as effective as possible. Simply fill in this short survey to let us know how your call went.
Want to do more?
You can also tweet at the Indonesian President: (Click to tweet the suggestions below, or use your own words).
- .@jokowi Third round of executions undermines human rights leadership in #Indonesia #deathpenalty http://bit.ly/29ZA29g
- .@jokowi Halt imminent executions. Third round likely this weekend http://bit.ly/29nKdYV #deathpenalty #Indonesia
- .@jokowi must investigate evidence of unfair trials in #deathpenalty cases in Indonesia #flawedjustice http://bit.ly/29ZA29g